Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Poll: Need for PPC support? 
Yorick Master

Post Poll: Need for PPC support?
I'm getting a little bit drown under the support load. Between the linux repositories and the various flavors of package manager binaries, it's taking lots of time. I am just wondering, in the light of apple move to intel, if I should continue updating the pkg_mngr ppc flavor (linux-ppc and darwin-ppc). Does anyone out there still need the ppc support?

I'm gonna run this poll for a month. If at the completion of this I get no request, I'll take that as a no.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

The other notion worth considering is whether we can go to a source-based FreeBSD ports-like system for yorick plug-in packages The only problems arise when there are dependencies on external libraries, but these are no less tricky for binary distributions in many cases. I wonder how much less convenient it would be if the yorick package manager slurped down source code, built, and installed it on the fly? If you could make that work, you'd effectively have only a single "platform"...

Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:07 pm
Yorick Master

Yes. This would mean that we would have one build file for each architecture, as the name and location of various libraries change. But the main drawbacks I see to this approach are:
1) How do we deal with dependencies? Putting together a port-like system that takes care of that would be a huge job. It basically means re-writing or adapting a package manager
2)Not all environment come with a build system pre-installed. For instance, OsX does not. You have to install the developer tools, which are included in the OS install CD but are not installed by default.

One advantage of course is that once it's done, the maintenance is (allegedly) lighter. Another advantage is that it makes for smaller libraries, as we can use shared version of the dependencies.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]