Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Yorick maumae web pages new design 

So, what do you think about the new design?
Poll ended at Tue May 25, 2010 11:02 am
It's brilliant! 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Too many skulls... 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
I don't care 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Yorick maumae web pages new design 
Yorick Master

Post Yorick maumae web pages new design
The yorick web site(s) design looked so much like out of the 90's (I designed/adapted them back in 2002 or so). So I decided it was time for a more modern design. Have a look at
http://www.maumae.net/yorick/doc/index.php
Let me know what you think. Some people I have probed loved it, some other were not so hot... I took however the executive decision to switch to it. That's the nice thing about being webadmin.

The new design makes use of CSS2 and some CSS3 (e.g. rounded corners and web fonts). It renders well on all webkit browsers (Safari, Google Chrome,...) and Gecko browsers (Firefox, v>=3.6 for the webfonts rendering). It does not completely break under IE, but IE support for the newest CSS3 feature is not yet there (e.g. rounded corners are still not supported). There are words that IE9 will support it much better, so instead of spending hours trying to make it look better under IE, I'll wait for the next IE release. In the meantime, as I said, it's a least functional in IE.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Guru

The new design reminds me some Mexican drawing with all these skulls. Funny but maybe a little bit frightening for newbies.

About the documentation of Yorick it would be nice if every one could contribute. What do you of having some kind of wiki? With moderators of course.

Sat May 01, 2010 4:47 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

I like the new design a lot. It does feel much more modern and just looks nicer. I do think I'd like it even better if the skulls were perhaps a bit more subtle, but that's a quibble.

I'll second the motion for a wiki. I'd love to see that happen.

Fri May 07, 2010 12:15 pm
Yorick Master

Yes, I agree a wiki would be a good idea.
I saw that sourceforge is proposing a wiki service as an opt-in. Will investigate more and let you guys know.

I get the message for the skulls. May be I could have -as the old page- different versions, and have a more vanilla version as the default.

Sat May 08, 2010 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

Sourceforge indeed can host a wiki (mediawiki, the same that wikipedia uses).
I am queued for a wiki creation. I guess it will take a few hours. I'll come back and report soon once I have done the initial setup.

Sat May 08, 2010 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

ok, the wiki is created. See the other post in announcements (this one).

Also, I have toned down the skulls and reduced the side margin so one sees less of them. I hope this will not scare newbies that much...

Sat May 08, 2010 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Guru

According to my daughter: "the new Yorick logo [with the skulls for the open parts of the letters] is great" ;-)

Sun May 09, 2010 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

Sun May 09, 2010 12:50 pm
Profile WWW

I like the news feed on the right. Extremely useful.
But you will have to maintain it (extra work?). A feed with news dating back several years ago does not look great.

Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

A feed with news dating back several years ago does not look great.

correct. On the other hand, a feed that contains recent news (as it does right now) is reassuring for the casual browser :-)
So, yes, I will have to -and will- maintain it.
btw, the news feed already existed in the previous version of the site. The unofficial yorick web page ( http://www.maumae.net/yorick/doc/ ) is not the same as the official one ( http://yorick.sourceforge.net/ ), even though they look similar.
I know it's kind of stupid to have 2 sites, but as the unofficial one is entirely controlled by me, I feel free to modify content at will and experiment with new things while the official site should be more stable and require to get a consensus before changing things drastically.

Thu May 13, 2010 6:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]