Yorick Master

Post New yorick wiki pages
All,

We have a brand new yorick wiki:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/yorick/

As I say in there:
Quote:
This is the first yorick wiki (AFAIK).

I believe we should use this wiki primarily for *organized* documentation. Not for discussion, not for posts and probably not for bug reports (we have a forum for that). Essentially for documentation. There should be material for yorick main and for the plugins. I don't know if some of you know the archlinux wiki ( http://wiki.archlinux.org/ ), but that's essentially what I'd like to replicate here: User documentation contributions of good quality.

Important: I have been using wikis at work for years, almost daily for the past 2-3 of years. My experience is that it can get quickly out of hand and disorganized. Before we start dumping content in here, we should think of a logical architecture tree. Or may be not: may be we just dump pages in here and rely on the search engines (either internal, see left bar, or external like google pointing to this wiki). What do you think?

The discussion is open. I haven't yet configured user access, so I assume you'll be unable to log in and contribute for now. That's intentional, for the reason mentioned above.

Sat May 08, 2010 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Guru

I agree that we should build some initial structure. Can we prefill the wiki with existing documentation?

Sun May 09, 2010 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

I'm a relative newbie to wikis, so let me know what kind of help you would like. I second Eric's question about prefilling with existing docs. In particular, this might turn out to be a good way to extend the current user manual, which I have put off way too long.

On a related note, some time ago, I had initialized the phpBB "hosted app" (see drop down menu on sf page). I never figured out how to transfer the current yorick forums, and I'm not even sure whether there is an advantage to doing so. At the time I was thinking it would be a little more smoothly integrated into the sf site. Something else to keep at the back of our minds.

Sun May 09, 2010 7:28 pm
Yorick Master

It should be pretty feasible to populate the wiki with existing documentation. The pywikipediabot framework gives some good tools for scripting stuff like that, if you know Python.

When I go to a wiki to find something, I nearly always search. Mediawiki makes it pretty easy to add categorization after the fact, or even to write some more structured pages that link a bunch of pages together after the fact. Starting out with some basic ideas on organization is probably a good idea, but I think the most important thing is to get the content up there in the first place.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]