Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
yorick-doc package 
Yorick Master

Post yorick-doc package
The yorick-doc package has been released at http://github.com/dhmunro/yorick-doc. This is a perl script which extracts DOCUMENT comments from yorick package source and the main yorick distribution, and produces a website. You can see the results at http://yorick.github.com. If you own a yorick package listed on the github yorick wiki, you should eventually use yorick-doc to generate compatible documentation, and drop me a note to insert your URL into the plugins page of the main site. The yorick-z package is so far the only plugin which appears there.

This new system is missing a few features in the old htmldoc.i, but it is much more compatible with the distributed source code management at github. In particular, yorick-doc uses the static website generator provided by github to publish the documentation. I set it up so that separate packages can be maintained in separate git repos, and still retain the overall look and feel as if they belong to a single website. The basic idea is that you can run the ydoc.pl script (in yorick-doc) whenever you change the documentaion of your plugin or package, commit the updated html documentation to the gh-pages branch in your git repo, and push that branch up to github to have it appear nearly instantly at the github site, integrated into the public documentation tree.

Furthermore, anyone who clones a git repo containing this gh-pages branch automatically has a local copy of the github website. The website for the main distribution is in the yorick-doc project, rather than in the yorick project, but most of the smaller packages should just put the gh-pages branch in the same repo as their code. The yorick-z plugin is an example.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]