Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Missing pstfio.c file? 
Yorick Guru

Post Missing pstfio.c file?
I guess the file pstdio.c is missing in CVS directory yorick/play/any

There is an entry to build pstdio.o in yorick/play/any/Makefile which is required for yorick/play/libplay.a

Removing the pstdio.o in the Makefile's does not help since the linker complains for missing references about p_fclose, p_fwrite, p_ftell, etc.

P.S. I post this message because the address dhmunro@users.sourceforge.net seems to be broken. Sorry for the redundancy.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:15 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

Oops. I forgot to add the new file pstdio.c when I virtualized the pstdio.h interface. It should be fixed now.

This supports the new functions vopen and vclose (use help,vopen), which permit in-memory text and binary files. This, in turn, supports the new capability of include to include char or string arrays in addition to files. (help,include and help,include1) Don't go hog wild with these just yet, as I'm not 100% sure this is the final interface.

The ultimate reason for these changes is the all new mpy, which is nearing completion. This hugely improved parallel yorick is fully scalable, which requires that include files be broadcast as messages. Without this, yorick will not even start on the new generation of million-plus processor computers, because all million processes would simultaneously try to open the various startup .i files (e.g.- std.i). No filesystem can survive this, so the whole job crashes. The only way to cope is for only rank 0 to read the .i files from disk, then broadcast the file contents as a message to all other processes. This necessitates being able to include the file contents as a char array.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 pm
Yorick Master

that sounds way cool.
I'll be testing this as soon as I can.
Francois

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]