Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
indenting and emacs 

Post indenting and emacs
Hi,

I usually edit yorick .i files in emacs. An annoyance for some time has been if a line doesn't end with ; then indenting isn't correct. For years I've been adding ;'s religiously but thought I'd ask if others are having this problem or if there's a fix. Esp. when editing code that doesn't contain ;'s (e.g. written by vi users) it becomes tiresome.

Thanks!

Mon May 14, 2012 6:39 am
Yorick Master

Post Re: indenting and emacs
I do the same as you do. I think it's good coding style to end all lines with ";" anyway, even though it's not necessary for the parser.

<Flame>
Blame vi users.
</Flame>

It's not going to be easy to fix this behaviour in emacs since Yorick-mode uses C-mode for syntax highlighting and indenting.

Regards, Thibaut.

Tue May 15, 2012 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

Yes. This is a feature, not a bug.

Yorick syntax was designed to be nearly identical to C or C++, which means that putting a great many editors into their C or C++ mode (e.g.- gedit, scintilla, bbedit, nedit, etc.) will give pretty much correct highlighting and indentation for much more than emacs. The emacs yorick mode is 10 times smaller than it would be without this commonality -- the indentation doesn't have to change at all, and the highlighting merely adds a few things like DOCUMENT comments to the exisiting emacs c-mode. None of this works without the semi-colon endings, so you are doing yourself a huge favor to add the semi-colons in all your yorick source, because someday you'll be forced to use an editor other than emacs, and it's C-mode will work on your yorick code as long as you have them.

The reason I permit omitting the semi-colons is to make it easier to type yorick statements directly at its command prompt. I should probably fix the yorick terminal mode so that it automatically adds the semi-colon if you just hit the return key, but of course that is impossible in a non-emacs terminal window, so I'm not highly motivated to do it.

Finally, I'll mention that a large fraction of the yorick parsing is devoted to artificial intelligence code that tries to figure out whether there are any missing semi-colons and to insert them in their proper place. It's called a "lexical tie-in" in parser theory, and it's a huge no-no -- you're NEVER supposed to design a language that needs lexical tie-ins to implement its parser. And, in fact, yorick has quite a few very ill-defined situations in which the lexical tie-in doesn't work the way you (or at least I) expect. That is, there are quite a few situations where permitting you to omit the semi-colon breaks the parser and makes it do surprising and not very nice things. No doubt you've trained yourself to use a programming style in which you never get bitten, as have I, but I believe because of those problems, yorick's grammar is not well-defined. By that I mean that I believe there is no complete formal description of the yorick grammar -- you certainly cannot write a yorick parser using only the standard yacc and lex UNIX tools. If I forced you to end all yorick statements with semi-colons, on the other hand, yorick does have a formal grammar which can be implemented using yacc/lex.

Someday I may force all yorick code read from text files (as opposed to stdin) to have proper semi-colon statement markers, so it can have a well-defined formal grammar. However, for the forseeable future, I use the same parser for stdin as for files, so for the time being you can omit semi-colons in files as well as in stdin.

Thu May 17, 2012 1:58 pm

OK, thanks for the replies! I hadn't checked the forum in a few days. I do end all my .i file lines w/ ;'s, but was wondering if I had to. Plus, when getting files from some colleagues of Dr. Munro and myself, who use primitIVe editors, there are no ;'s, and working w/ them in emacs is a pain.

I think you should make sure Yorick has a well-defined syntax, as well as semantics and semiotics, and that it's Turing complete, Goedel's thm. applies, and so on :)

Dave

Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Yorick Master

If some good soul would write an elisp function that inserted missing semi-colons (in a buffer or region), that would ease the pain for Dr. Strozzi and me -- we could then automatically beautify ugly yorick code in emacs. Volunteers?

Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]