Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
On the usefulness of the gist binary 
Yorick Master

Post On the usefulness of the gist binary
Hi,

how important do you rate the gist binary, and how important is it that it is called "gist"?

There is a new package in Debian called gist which also installs a gist binary. Not sure what it is, seems to be related to gist.github.com. It is not acceptable to have to binaries by the same name as they are not co-installable.

Since Yorick's gist was there first so does have some sort of priority. However, if this other gist package proves more popular, it may be a good idea to just let it go. A very simple move is to move Yorick's gist to another name, such as... yorick-gist. People using Yorick's gist are certainly experts and will be able to find it, especially if I break it into a distinct yorick-gist package.

I have personally never, ever used Yorick's stand-alone gist binary.

Kind regards, Thibaut.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Yorick Master

Post Re: On the usefulness of the gist binary
I rate gist as very low importance. I have not used it in many years, and whenever anyone asks me, I strongly recommend they never use CGM files at all. We can certainly rename it. In the Debian package, /usr/bin/gist is a softlink. The easiest thing for me would be if you just rename the softlink /usr/bin/gist, leaving it pointing to the same file in /usr/lib/yorick. In fact, I wouldn't object to removing the softlink altogether, although that's maybe overly enthusiastic, since there may be people who use it. You can make the call.

If you need any changes beyond the softlink, let me know.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]